Sunday, January 30, 2011

Starting Out

What is Crochet?
Crocheting is the art of taking yarn, manipulating it with and through loops, and creating something awesome.














Why Crochet?


It's fun! It's a creative way to make things. Hats, afghans, throws, scarves, cardigans, sweaters, stuffed animals, baskets, pillows... The list goes on and on. Also, crocheting is a great multi-tasking activity. I crochet while watching TV, movies, talking to friends, listening to music, on road trips, and yes, sometimes even in boring classes at school.

Crochet vs Knitting
Crochet uses one hook
knitting uses two (or more!) needles.
Each produces a different look. Most store-bought merchandise is knitted.

Crochet

Knit

I find that crocheting is easier to pick and master than knitting. You can do more difficult, fun patterns and projects via crochet sooner than a knitting project of equivalent difficulty. Also, I've found that crocheting is faster than knitting. I can crochet a beanie in about an hour, where I've spent many hours knitting a hat. This has been my personal experience, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment